The original instrument of Highland music was not the pipes, but the Clàrsach (or harp). Clan Lamont history and culture holds the Clàrsach as an integral part of their heritage and legacy. The Doctor Andrew Turner Endowment Fund for Scottish Harp is a commitment of the Turner famliy to honor the past and preserve the future.
The Doctor Andrew Turner Memorial Trophy
Doctor Turner's wife commissioned a permanent trophy to be created by award winning artist Pamela Gilbreth Watkins. Each year the recipient of the Doctor Andrew Turner Memorial Scholarship for Scottish Harp will have their name etched on the base of the trophy, solidifying their honor alongside prior recipients.
A personalized plaque and a brochure with information about this scholarship will be given to the recipient, to be retained as a symbol of their enduring commitment and hard work.
Andrew Turner was born in 1922 in Glasgow, Scotland and was the youngest of five boys for Thomas Turner and his wife. The family immigrated to the U.S.A. when he was just 2 years of age to Detroit, Michigan. Andy, as he liked to be called, attended the University of Michigan. He studied Chemical Engineering, earning his B.A. in 1949, followed by his M.A. in 1950 and his Ph.D. in 1957.
Andy married his wife Edna, in September of 1950. Followed shortly were the additions of their two children, Bruce and Gail. The family moved to Charleston, WV. In 1953 where Andy worked for Union Carbide until 1971. In 1972 the family moved to Columbus, OH where Andy started work for the EPA.
Through groups like MOSHA (Mid Ohio Scottish Heritage Association) and his membership in CLSNA (Clan Lamont Society of North America) Mr. and Mrs. Turner soon learned of the yearly Ohio Scottish Games. In short order it was decided the couple, along with their daughter Gail, would sponsor a Clan Lamont tent. It has been an honor for the family to have been sponsoring the “Harper of the Day” Trophy at the Ohio Scottish Games for over 20 years.
Upon Andy’s death in 2004, Edna took over the sponsorship, creating the Doctor Andrew Turner Memorial Scholarship for Scottish Harp.
Andy's daughter Gail created the Doctor Andrew Turner Endowment Fund for Scottish Harp in 2010. Donations are needed to sustain this fund. The fund supports: the Harp competition and Harper of the Day trophy at the One Scottish Games, the Doctor Andrew Turner Scholarship is given to 2 recipients at the Ohio Scottish Arts School by the teachers and applications for the scholarship.
Applications can be made to the fund to further an individual knowledge of the Scottish Harp.
Story of the Clàrsach Laomannach (Lamont Harp)
The Clàrsach is known to have existed in almost prehistoric times. One of the earliest surviving examples is the famous Clàrsach Laomannach. Brought to the Robertson’s of Lude in Perthshire by a Lamont bride from Cowal in 1460.
The total length of the Lamont harp is 38 inches and the total width from front to back is 18 ½ inches. The box, which is hollowed out of one piece of wood, is 30 inches long by 4 inches wide at top and 17 inches at the bottom. The depth of the side throughout is 4 inches wide, with a swell of the front from sides and ends, to the center of 1 inch under the projecting band through which the 32 string holes are pierced. The string holes each have an ornamental mounting of brass of peculiar form, all of the same pattern, except the 3 upper and 2 lower holes, which are of the horseshoe shaped, terminating in quatrefoils. There are 4 sound holes of 1 1/3 inches in diameter in front and the original back is gone, having been replaced by a new one.
Clàrsach Laomannach is currently on display at the National Museum of Antiquities in Edinburgh, Scotland.